Education Leads the Way
Many outstanding institutions of higher education, including three Big Ten universities, draw students to West Central Indiana from around the nation and many foreign countries. These institutions stand ready to partner with business and industry in developing problem-solving technology, serving as incubators for start-ups, providing advanced on-site training programs and helping to produce a well-educated and adaptable workforce.
- DePauw University Located in Greencastle provides a set of exceptional college experiences marked by intellectual rigor and shaped by a dynamic faculty. These experiences are further enhanced by an engaging residential campus community and a breadth and depth of perspectives inside and outside of the classroom. For nearly 175 years, a DePauw education has provided students with a solid foundation for a lifetime of living and learning and helped our graduates achieve uncommon success in a wide variety of fields around the nation and the world.
- Harrison College grants Associates and Bachelor’s degrees across five schools of study: Business, Health Sciences, Information Technology, Criminal Justice, and Veterinary Technology, as well as its culinary division The Chef’s Academy. Harrison College offers students a variety of learning environments including online, traditional classroom or a combination of both.
- Indiana State University located in Terre Haute offers 100+ majors, notably education, business, criminology, finance, insurance and risk management, nursing, athletic training, and construction technology. The university's graduate education, financial services, nursing and clinical psychology programs are nationally recognized
- Ivy Tech Community College has campuses in Terre Haute and Greencastle and Learning Centers in Sullivan and Parke counties. The college prepares workers for jobs in Indiana’s highest priority fields – health care, advanced manufacturing, logistics and life sciences – and designs training programs for specific businesses, either on campus or on-site.
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology - in Terre Haute (for 12 consecutive years rated by U.S. News & World Report as the #1 undergraduate engineering college offering the bachelor’s or master’s as its top degree) supports Rose-Hulman Ventures, an innovative incubator and funding vehicle for entrepreneurs.
- Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (SMWC) is the oldest Catholic liberal arts college for women in the United States. SMWC offers a rich liberal arts education, The College also takes pride in its long history of traditions and commitment to academic excellence. In fact, both Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report consistently rank SMWC as one of the Best Baccalaureate Colleges in the Midwest.
- Terre Haute Innovation Alliance - Created in 2008, the Terre Haute Innovation Alliance is a partnership between the City of Terre Haute, Terre Haute Economic Development Corporation, Indiana State University (ISU), and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (RHIT). ISU and RHIT provide university commercialization services to companies in the process of developing or expanding their products. ISU provides limited business incubation space in the Myers Technology Center. The Innovation Alliance program at ISU is managed by the Business Engagement Center. Services also are provided to client companies through Rose-Hulman Ventures.